Sunday 28 July 2013

Entrada Universitaria (University Parade)

It’s been almost a year since the 2012 university´s dance parade in La Paz. I can still recalled the vibran traditional music all over downtown, the public ready to cheer up, dance and sing with the dancing groups, and each participant getting ready fixing the last minute hair, clothe and make up before the start.
Everyone was taking pictures with other dancer or groups, so you feel as a celebrity for a day. I was lucky to be encouraged to participate as part of the Fraternidad Chacarera Artes. Usually, in Bolivia dancing groups are called Fraternidad (Brotherhood) as they are known for a sense of belonging and loyalty to your group.

Many people have danced more twice or more, I met a lot that it was their tenth or more entrance, so they were pretty relaxed. As a foreign and non-experienced in public performances, I was really nervous. I was concerned about how I would stand those high heels shoes for more than 3 hours in uphill streets, and trying to remember all steps of the choreography.

The event started around 9:00 a.m., from the Downtown-East up to West-End close to the Miraflores stadium. The meeting time for my group was set up at 11 a.m., it was very challenging to get there as the typical traffic jam all over downtown, plus the main streets were blocked.

I was already up at 6:00 a.m., as most of the beauty saloons are booked in advance, you have to book an appointment as early as possible, I was there ready to be transformed in a Chaqueña at 7:00 a.m., it took at least an hour to do your hair and makeup. Every girl was beautifully prepared for the parade; most dances required a breeding hair, fake lashes, sparkling colors around eyes, and hair extensions.

After struggling in finding a taxi that was willing to take to downtown, my dance partner and I stopped for a delicious Silpancho to get energy for the day. I was a bit nervous to be late; however, the city´s Mayor was late so no dance group could start without him.. We needed to wait up to 2 p.m. to start, but we were ready waiting with our group.

Everywhere was full of beautiful colors and exciting energy, there were hair dressers, souvenirs, food, all kinds of stuff, it was possible to enjoy seeing other groups and their amazing outfits.

There were a wide range of groups from all types of dances from all regions of the country. Most of them have either a live music band performing for them, and a theme that differentiates them from others.

Many bands come from other cities like Oruro, where bands for Morenada dance are very famous. For my group, they have Dalmiro Cuellar, a very famous Chacarera singer.



We were all happy and excited to start.. took pictures with friends who were performing and friends who came to see us and provide advice for the dance... Most of it to have fun..

One year from that day, I still miss all the vibe, color and authentic culture in La Paz… with all its chaotic and loud occasions that are part of its attraction. I wish I get to dance and experience that feeling again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like to donate to CUSO Projects....